Gov. Perry Activates State Resources as Precautionary Measure as Winter Storm Threatens Texas Communities
January 06, 2010
AUSTIN - Gov. Rick Perry has directed the activation of state resources, including Texas Military Forces personnel and high profile vehicles, as a precautionary measure as a winter weather system threatens many Texas communities. These resources will be used to provide assistance to motorists and others in the coming days.
"An arctic system sweeping over Texas communities will bring severe cold weather and could create dangerous road conditions for drivers. I urge residents across the state to remain cautious, pay attention to changing weather conditions and heed warnings from local officials," Gov. Perry said. "We will closely monitor this storm to ensure state resources can quickly assist impacted communities, and I thank the brave men and women who are dedicated to responding to any event that places Texans in harm's way."
The National Weather Service is forecasting a severe winter weather system will affect Texas communities stretching across most of the state over the next few days, with temperatures remaining below freezing in some areas during this time. Local law enforcement, the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and the Texas Military Forces will assist motorists and perform any necessary rescues.
State resources responding include the following:
· 77 Texas Military Forces personnel and 36 high profile and other support vehicles have been activated and prepositioned in Corsicana, Huntsville, Lufkin, Marshall and New Boston.
· All TxDOT district offices in the affected area stand at a high level of readiness and are prepared to provide assistance as needed to motorists, and to de-ice and clear roadways.
· DPS Disaster Districts are prepared to fully activate and support their districts, and all DPS troopers in the impacted and surrounding area are prepared to provide assistance to motorists and others.
Texans may call 2-1-1 for winter weather related resources, such as information regarding Warming Centers where individuals may seek daytime shelter from the cold. Relay services and cell phone users who have out-of-state area codes can access 2-1-1 in Texas by dialing 1-877-541-7905.
The State Operations Center is fully activated and working with the National Weather Service to closely monitor this severe weather event.
- Gov. Perry directs activation of state resources as precaution due to severe winter storm
- TxDOT, Texas Military Forces and DPS resources have all been prepositioned
- Texans may call 2-1-1 or 1-877-541-7905 for weather related resources
- 12/28/2009 - Press Release
Gov. Perry Activates State Resources as Precautionary Measure as Winter Storm Threatens Texas Commun
- 12/24/2009 - Press Release
Gov. Perry Activates State Resources as Winter Storm Threatens Texas Communities